How can parents help their schools start and maintain a yoga program?
Schools need all the help they can get. So, when parents appropriately offer support, they are usually well received and can truly make a difference.
First, show up, volunteer your time, and get to know the school.
- Who are the administrative leaders? What are their goals and plans? Are these goals being realized? Are they struggling?
- Do teachers feel supported? What do they really need help with?
- Do children feel supported? Are they happy, well-behaved, learning?
- Is there a social-emotional learning plan for all grades?
- Is there adequate physical education and activities for all ages?
Once you’ve assessed the situation, schedule a meeting with the appropriate leaders and teachers at the school. Present them with a thoughtful proposal about how, when, and why a yoga program would benefit the students and serve the goals and intentions of the school. Outline your key points clearly and include how you will help them find and implement a great program.